Thursday, July 28, 2011

keeping score.


It's been a roller coaster ride. Some days I'd wonder if I'm actually insulin-resistant and there are days when I feel like dancing in the street in my birthday suit. There are days too that my "score" is neither here nor there. And to say that the result of the daily monitoring is determinant of my mood for the rest of the day (I get my sugar level in the morning, postprandial or after breakfast) is an understatment. It goes beyond just mood. It's depression-inducing or cause for elation, it's a ride to hell or a gift of invicibility, it's both a blessing and/or a curse. I've been telling myself since day one that a "high" score means I need to work harder and a "low" score means I'm on the right track. But as with anything mental, it's easier said than believed. For hard as a I try, I can't totally rationalize how in the world do I sometimes get extremely opposite scores for two succeeding days when the second day is a carbon copy of the first routine-wise? I'm having anxiety attack just by thinking about it.


My score on the first day was 234. The normal level would be somewhere between 80 and 120/30 but my doctor said we should aim for the 90-100 range. Suffice to say, I was humming The Windmills of Your Mind for the rest of that day. Good thing there are some things that the mind has no control over like sleep. Anyway, since that day my sugar level has been playing around or between 180 and 130. But to end this entry on a good note, I have observed a downward trend in the last four days. It's 160, 141 and yesterday it was down to 114. Today the glucometer almost made me dance in the street buttnaked. It nosedived to 107. Apparently, I haven't totally lost grasp of my sanity.


No comments:

Post a Comment